Ok, sometimes I really miss bread and recently I’ve really wanted a burger in between 2 buns. Yes, I could wrap it in lettuce and still enjoy it, but I wanted something to create that bun like experience! And then I saw this recipe in one of my low carb Facebook groups and thought what’s the worse thing that can happen?
It’s a quick, easy recipe that yielded a surprisingly good low carb cheese “bread”. But keep in mind there is no flour in this. It’s made 100% with Parmesan Cheese!
Tips and what I learned
- I liked the “feeling” of eating the burger the way I used to, but I kind of thought it was a bit thick. That was my own fault. I really packed it into the pan. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will use less mixture in each well.
- I calculated the calories and carbs in this recipe on the fact that it created 8 slices. When I make it the next time I will use the same amount of ingredients and make 12 slices. That will drop the carb count to 1.9 per slice.
- I used myfitnesspal to figure out the carb count.
- You don’t need to use a muffin top pan. I just did because I wanted it round like a bun. A lot of people just shaped them by hand and baked them on parchment paper.
- Keep an eye on them while they cook. It took 18 mins for mine to be done cooking while my friend who made them before said she was averaging between 12- 15 mins.
- Lastly, have some fun! I added some Italian seasonings to the mixture. It wasn’t enough for me to really taste it, but every now and then the flavor was there. Next time I will add a lot of rosemary. YUMMM! I LOVE Rosemary bread!
Parmesan Cheese Bread
OMG this was good! I’ve been wanting to have an hamburger with bun for a while. Since I’m still in Induction Phase of Atkins, my carbs are limited. So I’ve been looking for an alternative that doesn’t use any flour and finally found something REALLY good!
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
Mix together and if you are adventurous like me...add some spices! Just make sure they are 0 carb.
Preheat the oven to 400
You can put the mixture in muffin top tins or just heap on parchment paper and put it on a flat pan.
Cook until it starts to get brown around the edges. For my oven it took 18 minutes
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 18 minutes
- Total time: 23 minutes but may vary depending on your oven
- Calories: 173
- Fat: 11.4 grams
- Carbs: 2.8 grams
- Protein: 16.1 grams