What is processed foods?
Basically, what is considered a “processed food” is anything that comes in a box, can or bag already made and ready to be put in the microwave or oven.
Whenever possible, eat real food and not processed foods. Even if you are buying low carb frozen meals. Not only is it more cost effective to make meals yourself, but you can control 100% the way its made.
Many processed foods have loads of preservatives and sodium in them to help them stay “fresh” longer.
Other reasons to avoid eating processed low carb meals are:
- They often have more carbs in them than if you made it from scratch.
- They tend to be high in sugar.
- Some synthetic chemicals used by the processed foods industry are known to have carcinogenic properties.
- The portions can be smaller because of all the processed chemicals and carbs in the meal. They want to keep the carb count low, so they make the portion size smaller
- Read the label, you can’t even pronounce half the stuff they are putting in this “fresh” meal!
- Compare the nutrient value of the “processed” meal vs making it yourself…you will be shocked! Some of them even add back in synthetic vitamins & minerals to make the processed meals look healthier!
- Processed foods can be digested faster. Meaning that you will start to feel hungry sooner.
- According to the World Health Organization, processed foods are to blame for the spike in obesity levels and chronic disease around the world.
- Harvard recently conducted a study which found that women who avoided high-carb processed foods cut their heart disease risk by 30%!
- If you eat a lot of processed foods, your taste buds get used to a lot of salt. Which leads you to add more salt to your food when you are cooking.