If you are in ketosis, but not losing weight, don’t be discouraged! By being in ketosis you are already half way there! What this means is that you have cut enough carbs to reach ketosis. But not enough to lose weight. There are several things that can be happening to cause this.
- You are counting net carbs. You may be eating more carbs than you think. Go back to basics. Spend 3 – 7 days eating meat, cheese and eggs. Yes thats it. You will be eating much less than 20 grams of carbs during these days and you should see some weight loss. BUT gradually start to eat more carbs. You don’t want to stop losing weight or worse, put back on weight!
- Count calories. Traditionally you shouldn’t have to count calories. But sometimes what is happening is that all though you are eating low carb, you are eating too much! You should only be eating until you are full and no more. But if you are over eating and you lead a rather sedartary life. You may be eating more calories then your body can burn. Use apps like Myfitnesspal to start tracking what you eat, and how much exercise you are getting.
- Digestive issues. Sometimes you eat so much meat and cheese on a low carb diet that your system becomes “backed up” to put it politely. You may want to look into some of the natural ways to keep your system regular. I like to drink different teas. Traditional Medicines makes some great teas that can aid in digestion. There are also other natural ways to help with your digestion such as water or milk kefir or kombucha tea. Even if you are not experiencing digestive issues, you may want to look into these just to make sure you stay regular.
- Stay away from the nuts! – Yes they are low in carbs but its hard to just eat 28 peanuts and walk away. I tend to pop a handful in my mouth as I eat them.
- Too much snacking – just because a snack says its good for low carb diets doesn’t mean you go hog wild on it! As I’ve been changing my regular diet to a low carb one. I’ve really enjoyed making low carb muffins, pancakes etc. But even though they are low carb, you have to eat them in moderation. Treat them as occasional treats. Especially if you are just starting this way of life. When you start, you are eager to see results. Low carb muffins, cakes etc are better left out of your diet until you reach maintenance. IMHO!I have only 1 friend who seems to be able to eat these and still lose just as much weight as those of us who are just sticking to the basics. And she is EXTREMELY active. I think she must be burning it off. She exercises a minimum of 5 days a week. But its easy for her, she works next door to a gym! She has also taken up Swing dancing and Salsa dancing on top of going to the gym! Solution: Get active. If you don’t want to give up these delicious treats, then the only thing you can do is get moving! Can taking Pruvit help? YES – it will help get you off the couch! LOL no it wont make the carbs you are eating disappear. But you will have a feeling of well being and ENERGY. So you will want to get more active!
- Have you gone to the doctor? You may have un-diagnosed Hypothyroidism. You need to go to your doctor and have the test done.